Wednesday 7 September 2011

Nail it!

I really like my nails - I know I go on about it a lot, but I do.

Now, I've tried lots of products to make them stronger, longer, whiter and harder but recently I've decided to try a few store cupboard faves to give them a bit of oomph.

Here they are:

Toothpaste
Apply a blob to your nail brush and scrub them clean! They'll be nice and clean, the flouride in the paste will make them feel tougher and also will help smooth out any ridges. Great!
Garlic
A friend of mine has just returned from Ecuador (jet-set, I know) and says they all rub a clove of garlic on their nails. It makes them super-strong. In fact, I have even heard it suggested that if you chop some up really finely and let it 'stew' in your clear nail polish it will turn it into super strengthening polish!


Lemon
The acid in the lemon makes your nails white and also gives them a sort of 'buff'. You can rub a slice on or if you are juicing a lemon for cakes or whatever, the two ends are great - don't chuck them or compost them right away, instead put your fingers in there and give the lemon a good old turn.

Olive oil
A tiny drop goes a long way. The olive oil moisturises the nail and softens the cuticles so your nails are more flexible. So rub a little bit on each nail.

Alka seltzer
Put a couple of tablets in half a tumbler of water, let them fizz away and then plunge your fingers in there for a few minutes. Give them a rinse and slather on some hand cream. White nails in an instant! This is great for smokers.


Milk
A glass of milk a day, or for that matter a yoghurt or a good spread of soft cheese, will really help your nails. The zinc and calcium really boost the strength of the nails.


No comments:

Post a Comment